Learn How to Make Sushi!
Watch this step-by-step video featuring Lunch Lady Carole!
Ever wanted to make sushi but thought it might be to complicated or too much work? Try this easy Lunch Lady recipe and you’ll be an expert in no time! We’ve also put together a short step-by-step video featuring Lunch Lady Carole to help you through!
Don’t have time to make sushi tonight? Sushi is a featured item on our Winter menu in many kitchens across Canada!
Serving Size: Each serving is 8 sushi pieces.
Shelf Life: Same day for sushi, sushi vinegar can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Allergens: Fish, Soy
- Sushi Rice Cooked, 1 Cup Cooked
- Rice vinegar - Marukan or Kikkoman Rice Vinegar, 2/3 cup
- White sugar, 3 Tbsp
- Salt, ½ tsp
- Seaweed paper, 1 sheet
- Cucumber sticks - 1/4” thick, 2 sticks
- Finely Shredded Carrot, 2 tsp.
- Soy sauce, 1 pk
- Pickled Ginger, 2 slices
- Wasabi Paste, ½ tsp
Other Things You’ll Need:
- Bamboo Sushi Mat - For rolling the Sushi
- Small bowl of water - To dip your fingers so rice doesn’t stick to your hands when making the sushi.
- Small bowl of rice vinegar - To seal the edge of the seaweed paper
Before You Start: Its always important to wash your hands and ensure you have a clean work surface before starting
Step One: Prepare Rice
- Wash rice in a strainer under cold running water until it runs clear.
- Cooking ratio of water to rice is slightly more water than rice ex. 5 cups water to 4 cups rice. This yields 8 cups cooked.
- If using a rice cooker: follow rice cooker manufacturer’s instructions
- If using a stove top: Place washed rice in cold water in a large covered pot. Bring to boil. Stir. Cover. Reduce heat to lowest heat. Stir rice in 10 minutes. Cook another 10 minutes. When cooked remove from heat and let it sit covered for 5 minutes. All water should be absorbed and rice tender.
Step Two: Prepare Flavoured Rice Vinegar
- In a pot mix 2/3rd of unflavoured rice vinegar, 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Cook and stir vinegar, sugar, and salt until boiling and sugar dissolves.
- Cool to room temperature. Store the liquid seasoning in a glass bottle for easy use. This seasoning mix keeps for 5 days in the cooler. Do not store in plastic.
- Spread cooked rice on clean plastic tray & fluff with fork.
- Sprinkle cooled vinegar mixture evenly over the rice until moist and fluff with a fork (rice should be moist, but not soupy) . The ½ cup of homemade vinegar moistens 8 cups of rice.
- Cool rice on the plastic tray with a damp paper towel over top until rice is at room temperature.
Step Three: Prepare Sushi
- Keep a small bowl of water handy to dip your fingers to keep the rice from sticking to your hands.
- Wrap a bamboo mat in plastic wrap.
- Put sheet of seaweed shiny side down on a bamboo mat.
- Spread 2/3 cup of rice evenly on the bottom 1/3 of the seaweed paper.
- Dip finger in rice vinegar, and spread vinegar across top ½ inch of seaweed paper, this help seal the paper after you have rolled it up.
- Place 2 sticks of cucumber & 2 tsp shredded carrot along the middle of the rice and roll up evenly
- Squeeze bamboo mat around roll until roll is tight.
- With a sharp knife cut roll into 6 evenly sized pieces.
- Place 2 slices of pickled ginger and ½ tsp. wasabi in a 1 oz solo cup
Presentation: Place 8 Sushi rolls nice side up in a plastic clamshell, place the 1 oz solo and a portion packet of the soy sauce.